Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Lesbian U-Haul Olympics


We lesbians are pretty good at laughing at ourselves (and each other), especially when we notice that there seem to be some universal 'themes' in our community...It could be our love of softball, trucks, and Melissa Etheridge...

Or it could be our tendency to show up for our second dates with a U-Haul...because after that first INCREDIBLE night out (for dinner and roller derby), we KNOW that we have found THE ONE,

Again.

This is one of our hilarious community characteristics...one of those little inside jokes...one of the psychological ties that binds us (or moves us in) together.

I think it's that relationship intensity thing I wrote about earlier...perhaps a natural dynamic of two women being together. We are so aware of it in our community that we sometimes even use it to communicate with each other...to help clarify our dating styles, and our relationship boundaries. Or our fears...

"You're not a U-Haul lesbian, are you?"

 "Oh, HELL no! Are you?"

"No WAY! Those women are ridiculous!"

And, the next day they are calling their friends to help them go pick up the U-Haul...and to assist them with loading up the Foosball table.


It's a funny thing. I try to imagine the same phenomenon playing out repeatedly in the heterosexual dating world.


It probably wouldn't go over so smoothly.

I'm a musician, and I was trying to find somebody to perform with. I was asking my friend (I will again call her 'Cheryl' , mostly because her name is Cheryl) if she would be interested in harmonizing with me, and maybe performing at one of our local lesbian bars. She was very enthusiastic about it, and it wasn't long before we were coming up with potential band names.

She had the awesome idea of calling ourselves, "Bit**es with Hitches." We were going to wear pink t-shirts with pictures of a U-Haul on them. Everyone would totally get it! She was genius! I was so excited!

Then the next day she met her girlfriend and immediately moved out of town.

In all fairness, they just celebrated their first year anniversary-and they are very happy together. So, we may be quick, but we're not always wrong.

OK...one more...


AAAAAAH!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. straight people have to use Budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hetros are starting to become U-haulers. I know a few to many. I usually find out before I even go out with a woman if she is a U-hauler or not. If she is sleeping on her ex's couch.....run!

    ReplyDelete